I'm an Aussie living in Singapore. My interests are pretty broad, but include:
- I am Labs Director at TrustSphere where I explore new applications of the company's technology.
- I've made something of a habit of involving myself in the founding of technical-community organisations:
- Amateur Radio
- Environmental monitoring
- Email transport, authentication and abuse reduction
I advise and support multiple entrepreneurs. Particular examples include being mentor to:
- Startup Leadership's Singapore Chapter,
- multiple participating startups in JFDI's Accelerate program, and
- the 2014 run of the DBS-NUS Social Venture Challenge Asia.
- Modern Jive, Salsa, Bachata, ... since about 2000. I was even persuaded to perform and compete a few times in 2009/2010, but now just dance socially.
- Running. I grew up viewing exercise as a form of torture, however in 2008 I discovered that I actually enjoyed distance running.
- Kosciuszko National Park. My favourite place anywhere in the world (and in particular: Illawong Lodge, Perisher Huette and the Main Range Track).
- An abiding interest since high-school which currently manifests itself as an occasional blog post.
I recently had need to condense this into a speaker bio. This is the result:
Roland Turner is Labs Director for TrustSphere where he develops experimental applications of the company's technology. He has lived in seven cities across four continents and has a diverse software and network engineering background including the building of ERP systems, ISP networks, media post-production tools, a cross-border wine-brokering marketplace and a network intrusion prevention appliance. He has been involved in the founding of technology community groups since late 1980s - most recently Hackerspace.SG - in Internet and email service provision since early 1990s and is currently active in SPF, DKIM and DMARC development. Roland holds an Honours degree in Computer Science from the University of Technology, Sydney and, when not living, eating and breathing technology is an avid dancer and runner.