My BlackBerry was re-flashed a while ago to fix a charging problem (!). I’ve finally gotten around to re-installing Funambol Sync.
(Since the re-flash I’ve switch to Google Sync for contacts and diary, but this doesn’t cover Todo and Notes.)
I run a personal Funambol server, so the usual process doesn’t quite work. Here’s what I did:
- Go to the Funambol BlackBerry Software page on the Funambol community forge and download BlackBerry Sync (OS 4.2.1 to 4.6)
- The package has been cunningly packaged in a .zip file, which the BlackBerry can’t read. Go to the BlackBerry App World app, search for “zip”, discover and install “BeamExplorer File Manager” which deals with .zip files, amongst other things.
- Find and open the downloaded .zip file, click on Funambol_Sync_Plugin.jad , go through usual “download” and installation process.
- Diversion: reset the long-forgotten password: Run funamboladmin as root (why?) on PC, discover that admin password was remembered, enter new password in user record, save.
- In the sync client settings, replace http://my.funambol.com/sync with http://server:port/funambol/ds/
- Enter the username and password
- Turn off Sync Contacts and Sync Calendar as these currently live in the Googlesphere, and crossing the streams is almost certainly Very Very Bad.
- Turn on a daily scheduled sync.
- Save the settings and synchronise todo and notes.